Tokyo

July 27

Today was one of the busiest days I think I have ever had. I woke at 6:30 to get ready in formal business attire and head to the Tokyo Prince Hotel for our Joint Orientation and the official opening of the JASC. What that entailed was about seven speeches on the history and future of JASC followed by a toast with Japanese beer (at noon!) and then another spread of really good food and two hours of formal “mingling” with older Japanese men who seemed important. Despite only being in Tokyo for one day, I have already learned so much about the culture. It is an amazing place, that is certain, but I have had some difficulties being a) a woman and b) studying Japanese Buddhism. In particular I am referring to when I met with one man, to whom I gave a meishi (business card) yet from whom I received nothing, who asked where I was from and what I was studying – the typical first questions. When he learned that not only could I speak a bit of Japanese but that I was interested in Japanese Buddhism and the history of women in Buddhism, he looked at me as if I were an alien and muttered something I could not understand to the man beside him. I felt more uncomfortable by the second, especially when the second man replied to the first “If you talk to them like that, no one will want to talk to us anymore!” Needless to say, he was taken aback that me, a Western woman, would want to study his culture, let alone the women of his culture. I suppose I can try to put myself in his shoes. I might think it strange for a young Chinese boy, for example, to be interested in the U.S. women’s suffrage movement. Nonetheless, I was disheartened from the situation and decided I would “mingle” no more today.

The differences between cultures, as I expected, are quite significant. I want to make a meaningful difference in my studies, but not offend people or intrude upon traditional ways. Does that make my research interest inappropriate? I don’t think so, but then again I am not an elderly Japanese man.

Moving along, the reception was beautiful. We have been treated so well thus far, and today was no exception. The cuisine was somewhat exotic, including a huge “salty fish pie” which is pictured, along with various Chinese, Japanese, and American things, mostly seafood. The drink selection included orange juice, Chinese tea, scotch and water, various kinds of beer, white and red wine, and I believe that was it. The best part by far, though, was the dessert/fruit. The fruit was the most perfect I have ever eaten and included a Japanese pear that was so interesting and delicious. Japanese sweets are much different (and healthier) than American, much more fruit based.

You might think the events above would constitute a full day, but no, oh no. We immediately headed to the Tokyo World Bank HQ (the WB lends money to developing countries) for the World Environment Forum. We had small discussions (mine about bio-fuel) for two hours and then had a live video conference with students and educators from Paris and Ghana. It was really quite amazing. It is no joke to say that Japan is far more technologically advanced. They have LCD TV screens embedded in clear glass doors, for example. Tres chic. This Forum lasted several more hours. Then we dined out in Tokyo with our Roundtable. Mine ate at a gyoza restaurant, which is apparently Chinese food, though it tasted very Japanese. Very good, but by the time we made our way back to the Olympic center, I thought I would die. It is now 11:00pm and I am officially exhausted.

I have been practicing my Japanese so much it is wonderful – a very different experience from classroom learning. People seem to be surprised that this is my first time in Japan, but I think they are trying to be nice! I am trying very hard, though. I have made many friends, both American and Japanese, already and am, in general, having a fabulous and memorable time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 6-9, 2007

Down South...

Akita