Tokyo VI

July 31, 2007

I can’t believe it is August already. This summer flew by, but I still have a very long time in Japan. It is hard to believe it has only been one week since we arrived, I have seen so much and learned such a great amount in terms of culture, language, and travelling – it really is amazing.

Let’s see, yesterday was the Asia Youth Forum at the International House in Roppongi. Roppongi is a super wealthy area of Tokyo known for shopping. The International House, though I’m not quite sure exactly what they do, was beautiful and had its own Japanese garden in the back. We spent most of the day there, listening to professors and a student panel. I hear the Japanese professor who spoke is quite famous in Japan, author of a best selling book. His talk was rather interesting and was on the need for multilateral cooperation with not only Northeast Asia, but also the U.S., since we are such an important player. Though the talks were long, they were very interesting, and I helped a Japadele named Eri by taking notes in English and translating simple things she did not understand. The talks were followed by…guess what? I reception! Again, great food and even a wonderful piano player and an opera singer!

Oh, how did I forget this – the Princess of the Japanese imperial family came!!! It was so exciting, although I thought she would be young and waltz in wearing a crown and some sort of kimono. No, she looked like a very well dressed middle aged woman, though she did have quite a presence (and a perfect British accent no less). The Japanese director of the Fulbright program also was in attendance, so my attention at the reception was towards him and another professor with many ties here in Japan. The world of professional mingling is rather interesting and almost humorous. As I have mentioned, business cards are huge here, so you see many people walking around, card in hand, scoping out who is important enough to talk to. Hey, connections can’t hurt, so I try to do my best to meet as many people as possible so they know who I am.

After the reception, lots of the young JASCers wanted to go clubbing, and that didn’t sound fun at all to me, plus I was completely beat by that time, so I headed home. I guess I should have gone, because all the drunkards woke me up at 3 in the morning and continued to party loudly right down the hall. Oh to be 18 and not get hangovers. Some of the kids are going out every night (no one really cards here) and sleeping only a couple hours then working 10-12 hour days!!! I am too old for that (did I really just say that???)

Comments

  1. You have definitely entered the second quarter of your life. The decline of the partying gland is the first sign of approaching middle age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Down South...

Sept. 6-9, 2007

Goodbye Tokyo!