In the Kitchen: Daikon Nimori

Life in Japan has been one grand culinary adventure. At present, I own only one pot and one fry pan, which share one wooden spoon, but I have been delighting in the kitchen nonetheless. And I intend to prove it to you.

DAIKON

Daikon, a large white radish (by large I mean the size of a small child...), is a staple in Japanese cuisine. It often appears in side dishes and stews – roasted, boiled, pickled, grated. Simmered daikon (daikon nimori) is one of my favorite preparations. The radish soaks up broth slowly over heat, and takes on many layers of flavors. A typical broth includes dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and sake. Because it soaks up flavors so well, adding fish (e.g. karei) or meat (e.g. pork, chicken) makes for one delicious meal.


Yesterday, I bought my first daikon. Rather, I bought my first half of a daikon. The whole ones were intimidatingly large. I peeled the outer skin and cut it into thick chunks, then submerged it in cold water and set to boil. Boiled until chopsticks could easily penetrate (oh, lala!) the radish, about 30 minutes. Then I drained remaining water and added four fresh cups, one teabag-like packet of katsuo dashi, slices of fresh ginger, soy sauce (5), sugar (4), mirin (3), sake (2), and salt (1). Numbers correspond to proportion…and let’s be honest I am a lazy cook. I put more soy than anything, some sugar, splash of mirin, another splash of mirin, I didn’t have any sake, and I added some Himalayan sea salt. Then a little more mirin. And some more sugar along the way. COOK TO TASTE.

I put a lid on it, literally and figuratively, then let simmer for a good long while. Maybe 45 minutes. The smell was incredible. I became a little overzealous pondering what to do next – Should I leave it as is and eat as a side dish? Should I add chicken thigh meat? Should I add a bunch of vegetables? 

My inner maximalist won, and I added a whole slew of ingredients at will: kabocha, eringi mushrooms, eggplant, and chicken thigh meat. A little more water later (the liquid boils down), and the lid was back on. I slinked back to the living room, wondering if I’d ruined the whole thing…
All the preparation and cooking and thinking got me, well, hungry. While my mystery concoction stewed, I broiled a small loaf (loaf seems like the right word, I guess?) of wheat gluten (fu, aka seitan). Heady California Whole Fooders would cringe at the very mention! Here in Japan, it is a tasty treat. Wheat gluten is actually used as a meat substitute in many Asian restaurants (on aside, it seems a little odd that so many food allergies now considered common knowledge were never acknowledged until recently, and gluten now has quite a bad rap!). Broil till puffy, hoping you don’t burn it. I made a dipping sauce of soy, mirin, and olive oil (tradition? nah. delicious? yes.) and thoroughly enjoyed the chewy bites, even through a little red wine on the mail/rug incident. Never did mind the small things.


Back to the simmering pot of goodness. All worry went out the door with the first bite. Incredibly flavorful, sweet and savory, even caramely. Served over a little rice, it was a perfect meal.

Leftovers stayed in the pot and I reheated them today for lunch. Added a touch more water, frozen udon noodles, and mushrooms. The daikon were well worth writing home about. Cheers!

Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely love to cook, but mostly I love to cook with other people for other people. Patiently waiting for your visit J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 6-9, 2007

Down South...

Goodbye Tokyo!