Day made by the simplest of moments...

The elderly woman on the corner of Karasuma Oike selling vegetables from a cart - I almost passed her by but had to turn around and grab organic cucumbers, tomatoes, ginger, eggplant. She broke off a chunk of ginger and gave it to me, looking way up to my eyes with a great smile and blessing that "this is gold!"

A futuristic incense store called lisn I've visited once before and followed sense memory to find again. It was just as I remembered, like something out of a science fiction movie, but all in the name of incense. Divine! I bought a replica(nt) of a smooth wooden boat incense holder and a new collection. Unlike purses or shoes, incense is one of the few things I have little resistance to purchasing. They sent me out the door with gracious smiles and a "summer present" of citrus scented tissues.

Waiting at the bus stop amidst kimono-clad women, perfectly sweatless and impeccably dressed women, map-wielding tourists eager for the next surprise, and me - psychically drinking in the history of the city and its people, thinking "this moment makes sense" as my soul slows down to the ancient capital's rhythm. Sweat slowly dripping down my back.

Grocery shopping (for what is now a gorgeous plate of vegetables, fresh snapper, and soft tofu) while listening to old Daft Punk, weaving to the beat through the aisles of people and, strangely enough, cops with serious looks taking photographs of tomatoes.

The air hanging heavily as if meant to be felt, the clouds gathering as if to tell a story...thunder now rumbles as I collect my thoughts. Everything feels as it should be, familiar as. I myself may seem the only thing unfamiliar to this city, but she embraces me and I feel it with every step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 6-9, 2007

Down South...

Goodbye Tokyo!