Dispatches from the East: Korean Jaunt

Korean Air flight attendants: sea foam silk shirts, perfectly creased cream skirts, tiny neck scarves perfectly folded and peaked like meringue, delicate blue hair bow adorning a tight bun. They all spoke softly and never let some trace of a smile leave their face.

The Flight: apart from my accidental knife launching incident during lunch, which thankfully my neighbor to the right (a middle-aged man with braces who tried to read the introduction to a Jane Austen novel for most of the eleven hour flight) did not mind terribly, it was a smooth journey. The exit row sure is the way to go…with my backpack in front of my seat, I could work myself almost completely horizontal. With my big black eye mask and purple blanket and pillow, I must have been a sight to the tiny (mostly) Asian populous of the plane who made almost no noise (save one angry baby with the chubbiest cheeks imaginable!) and kept to themselves. In fact, it was likely this very nature of my fellow flyers that made the trip so easy. I could not believe the ease with which we exited the plane – hordes of people, yes, but moving in such an orderly fashion it made United Airlines look like an early ‘90s mosh pit.

Dinner at Incheon Int’l.: delightfully spicy bibimba with assorted sides or garlic seaweed, kimchi, spicy pickles, and seaweed soup, all of which was accompanied by a nice glass of white wine and the new issue of the Rolling Stone. Listening entertainment provided by Korean pop music that just now has been interrupted by Celine Dion’s Titanic anthem. The only other patron, an attractive middle-aged woman, has been making frequent trips to what appears to be a buffet-type station, although she only comes back with orange slices and hefty glasses of wine. By my lights, we are at about trip number four so far. Umm…why didn’t I order that?

General Impression: My memory of moments in Korea is full of the aviation scene's vivid teals, yellows, and brick oranges, my frustrated thoughts about not-yet-knowing of hangul (the written script),visions of the beating heart of Seoul I wouldn't have the chance to experience yet, and spicy kimchi (in love!). Too short, to be sure...


...and then I took flight!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 6-9, 2007

Down South...

August 25, 2007 - Ueno